Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday at the Slopes!

Super Tuesday took on a different look than I had anticipated (and I don't mean that I voted for Obama!). Yesterday, I was told that I could take the day off (I work with awesome people!) today and head to Lake Tahoe to enjoy the 5 feet of snow that was just dumped there last week (yes, another 5 feet of snow since the last time I went!). So I left yesterday evening and spent the night in Auburn with Dick and Barb (my sister-in-law's aunt and uncle). It was great seeing them since I hadn't seen them since October.

Today was possibly the best day of skiing I've ever experienced. It was 30 degrees and sunny with no wind, and the powder was amazing! Even though I could shove my poles all the way into the snow past the handles and not even hit the ground (pictured below), my skies didn't sink into it too much (b/c of the wetness) which made skiing easier than Colorado powder. I went to Squaw Valley which is where they had the winter Olympics (not sure which year). It was WAY better than Heavenly which is where I went last time. It was probably the steepest terrain I've skied on...pretty intimidating. You know that tingling sensation you get when you're standing at the edge of a cliff? Ya, that's what I was feeling quite a bit today. And I think it was magnified since I was skiing by myself and somewhat paranoid that I would lose a ski at the top and fall all the way down to the bottom! It didn't have the close-up view of the Lake that Heavenly did, but you could still see it. Once again, by the end of the day, my legs were about ready to give out. And the 4 hr drive home could have been enough to kill me, but I had Michael Savage on the radio keeping me informed on the outcomes of Super Tuesday and why I should vote for Mitt Romney and not Hucksterbee or Moonlighting McCain (as he calls them). Fortunately, I already voted via absentee ballet so I didn't miss my opportunity to make my conservative voice heard in liberal Cali!
This is what 5 feet of snow looks like on the side of the road.
Check out how it's taller than the car!


My poles weren't even hitting the ground yet!

12 comments:

Zach said...

Conservatives are psycho's. You suck that you got to ski that much.

Yes We Can. Yes We Can.

Obama 08!

Brenna said...

Zach is turning looney I do believe....seriously!

Looks like a beautiful place we need to go sometime!

Hope all is well!

Unknown said...

yeah. you should vote for romney.

great idea.

please do...oh wait...

obama in 08'!

Levi Drake said...

Yeah, until Obama's naive foreign policy screws up the world and U.S.' relationship with it!

Unknown said...

this is great dialogue.

levi, love you buddy...and i get that you are more of an expert here...but really? screw up our relationship with the world? by being diplomatic and peaceful? by having a visionary as a leader, rather than a strong-arm? really?

i would agree with you and say that mccain's policies to go in a blow everyone up who messes with us is much better. but i don't really think that.

this is fun. :) i am smiling right now.

Brenna said...

it's just unfortunate all the candidates suck this time around...

of course we don't want a prez who wants to strong arm everyone...but i don't really want one that thinks we should hand out driver's licenses as a welcoming gift for sneaking in the country either...

lose lose situation...

Tanner Reed said...

Let's call it a draw! Maybe we can all agree on one thing...no Clintons :)
Here's a joke...Why does Bill want to get to the White House so bad? B/c he wants his sex life back! (Ya know...interns for you slower peeps)

Zach said...

Since I started this mess I will jump in and say this:

Tanner, it is so awesome to talk to you, because even though very conservative, and myself leaning more the other way, I am lifted up by our conversations on politics and feel like I learn more.

Bren, love you, you know that. But the thing I despise about the far right and the far left is the idea that someone is looney for seeing something different than you. You might have been joking, but I understand now how the other side looked at me when I was a republican (when I was because I sure as heck am not now, especially the more I read the Bible) saying dems were looney. It makes you want to fight not discuss, and that is not what I am looking for (and I apologize if it comes off that way). On another note, your quip about illegals and drivers license had me rolling, that was extremely clever (I disagree with Barack on that issue of Drivers license by the way, and so does Hillary Clinton who is far more conservative on illegals than John McCain, and even though Mitt Romney is the toughest on immigration, he had 4 illegals working for him so that seems pretty hypocritical, but then again, Romney is going to tell you what you want to hear when it is convenient to him anyway, he is a John Kerry if I have ever seen one.)

Levi - I would love to talk about this issue of foreign policy with you. I am super into it and have some views but do need some people with different ones to bounce them off of and see if they hold water. I know you study this stuff and feel like you would be a great person to do that.

Casey - I am glad our hearts beat as one on politics. I admire your openness to thinking and your deep heart for people. It has led me to where I am today on those issues: content. Obama, Obama, Obama! :)

All - We miss you guys so much, we really do.

Glad the wonderful world of blogging can keep us all together.

Zach said...

By the way, the conservatives are psycho's bit was just a joke at Tanner. He has been known to leave a few of those on our blog so it was a response. Sorry if it offended anyone.

Levi Drake said...

I would also like to add a bit of a clarification. I do think Obama is inspiring and I like the way he presents himself. My biggest concern is his experience. When I said "foreign policy," I should have specified his policy on Iraq. While I'm not sure I agree with Mccain's perspective, I don't think bringing all the troops home immediately is a responsible, informed decision. I do think that in general, the US should be more careful and "diplomatic" in our foreign policy efforts--less eager to use force to accomplish our aims. My comments were intended to get everyone fired up mostly, haha, I hope no one was offended. Love you guys!

Zach said...

Levi, no, I actually love these discussions, mainly because I am trying to figure out where I really stand. In terms of what you said about Iraq I fear we are in a bad situation either way, i just haven't figured out which bad situation will be better for our country and the world. What is your email? I want to email some thoughts and get your response on them. Seriously, I don't know what I think on Foreign Policy more than any other issue and probably need to figure that out by November. I am a John Kerry, depending on the day and who I am talking to I have different views. If I am talking to Tanner then I am completely against all war to piss him off, if I am talking to my liberal friends here I am best friends with George Bush. Meaning, I am a troublemaker and don't know what I think.

Peace all, reunion in Minneapolis sometime soon? I still owe Tate and Brenna a trip.

Z

Levi Drake said...

I'm still developing my opinions as well. I feel we should not have dealt with Iraq the way we did but, regardless of whether or not we should have, we did. We now owe it to Iraq to attempt to deal with it as best we can (though perhaps our approach should change) and not abandon them, in my opinion. We need to develop some sort of multi-ethnic, powersharing system that does not put power in the hands of a single ethnic group, alienating the former group in power. That's a recipe for ethnic conflict. Anyway, would love to talk/debate more with anyone who wants to. I enjoy these discussions. levi.drake@gmail.com