Thursday, July 5, 2007

Go West Young Man...Day 1

"Go west young man, go west!" The theme of the California goldrush back in the 1800's. A century and a half later, I find myself answering that same call; however for slightly different reasons! (Although maybe not so different as both include young men in search of a financially stable way of life). The 24 episode of my life has finally come to its season finale...My Boss told Reed he is going to a sweet city-that is Sacramento! My life has been thus in a whirlwind or craziness over the last few days. I was told exactly a week ago today that I would be going to Sacramento. Great news to these young, green ears! One and a half hours from San Francisco, one and a half hours from my Lake Tahoe which hosts my true winter love that is skiing, Sacramento falls in line with the old real estate adage - Location, location, location!

Having heard the news of my placement, I immediately booked a flight to Sacramento to do some house hunting. I flew out there this past Sunday and flew back to Minneapolis last evening. This left me with just enough time to pack up my apartment and watch the remaining episodes of "Man vs. Wild" on my DVR. This morning I packed a bright yellow Penske truck and headed to Lincoln. I was told the truck gets 6 to 10 mpg...so I decided to squeeze as much of that out as possible! I drove the whole way in this 90 degree heat with no A/C on and the windows rolled down! The result was a red left arm, windblown hair, ringing ears, and 11.5 mpg! It's been said that rolling windows down negates the fuel efficiency of having the A/C off, but I don't know about that now.


I rolled into Lincoln with just enough hot sun left to scorch me while I went through my garage full of crap. Sorting through what I need and can fit into my 450 sq ft apartment (no, that's not a typo...my one bedroom apt is 450 sq ft!) But like I said before...Location, location, location. It's in the downtown area close to restaurants, shops, bars, parks, coffee shops, and the like. Well, I'm spending the night in Lincoln and heading home tomorrow. Wish me well and if you see two wild and crazy guys in a yellow truck flying down the interstate, tip your hat to them, they're two guys on an adventure to the West!

3 comments:

Heather Lea said...

sweet photo!

Carissa Martin said...

Congrats Tanner! We have a friend from Seminary pastoring a church down in Sacramento this summer (Him & his wife are from there and go to seminary here ,they are back in Sacramento for the summer). If you want the hook up with some awesome friends, let me know! Jeremiah and his wife, Lindsay are awesome!
Carissa

Aaron D said...

Haha - I heard about the shirtless adventurer. Hope you made it alright - I'll giveya a holler when I get back to the contiguous 48!