Saturday, April 19, 2008

No Place like...CO!

Last weekend I flew to Colorado to catch the last weekend that Vail was open for skiing. Two words: Top Five! That is, this was definitely in the top five ski outings of my life! We were skiing in 2 feet of fresh powder...and it was freaking April! And the base was higher than I've ever seen. Some of the trail signs had to be dug out of the snow to be seen...crazy!

On Friday, Brandon and I skied, and the conditions were a bit chilly. It was snowing pretty much all day and was 20 degrees at the warmest. Definitely NOT the California spring skiing! But I must say, it was kind of nice actually sinking down in the light fluffy powder, instead of hardly even making a dent in it like the Sierra Cement. On most the runs we were in deeper than our ski boots!

On Saturday, Zach and I skied with our personal ski instructor (my uncle!). The conditions were better because it wasn't snowing and it was probably 25-30 degrees. For those of you Vail fans, you can appreciate the fact that we skied all day and never skied the same run! We did the famed Lover's Leap of course (my stomach never seems to get less queezy looking down from the edge!). At the end of the day, we watched something I've never seen before...Pond Skimming. This was pretty sweet. Skiers get dressed up in costumes, and ski down a short run to get speed, and at the bottom is a pond of water which they skim across. Only about 25% of them make it all the way across! On a more typical spring day where the snow's crappy and it's 45 degrees, it'd be great to grab a beer and sit down and watch it. After an entire ski season in CA, I've decided that the skiing in CO trumps that in CA (except for the weather)...powdery snow, bigger mountains, ritzy resorts.

Saturday night me, Zach, and one of Zach's friends hit downtown Denver. Pretty crazy night. I'll leave you with a few words and you can piece the rest together: 1 hr of free drinks, 5 clubs, 4AM.

Brandon has definitely become a loco...I mean local!


These signs are on 10 ft poles! Anyone remember normally skiing UNDER these?!


Pond skimming...I may have to try this next year...NOT!

5 comments:

Aaron D said...

Duuuuuuuuuuuude! Those are freakin amazing conditions! Crap - i've never seen powder like that, much less on the last weekend of spring skiing!

Sure beats the rain and fog of Vermont on MY last outing. sheesh.

Unknown said...

three more phrases for you.

sunday walks. sweet sandwich shops. and one girl named theresa.

i was so glad to see you for two hours, even if, one of which we all fell asleep staring at one another.

come live here!

Tanner Reed said...

OOOOhhh Casey, I think I like your phrases better than mine. They sound so much more enjoyable! :) I miss you guys already. Tell Turner hi for me!

Levi Drake said...

So when are you going to come try the crazy, spring... um... sidewalks of Chicago? Although I saw a guy cross-country skiing on wheels through a park the other day, haha.

BBlack said...

OH man!! I'm so jealous of those conditions! That sounds incredible, i've skied some awesome powder, but i don't know if i've ever seen it that high to where the trail signs need to be dug out.
Like Aaron said, it sure beats the fog of VT that we had, but it was still a good time.
But, i wish i could've come out to see Zach & Case, & Crisp, that'd be good times!